VEGAS FREE RANGE CHICKEN CURRY
Put Vegas chicken pieces in a large bowl and add all the ingredients of the chicken seasoning. Using clean hands, mix the seasonings and chicken pieces thoroughly. Cover and set aside to marinate in a refrigerator overnight or if time is of the essence then marinate for about 1-2 hours.
Transfer the marinated chicken to a medium large saucepan. Add the water, bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer gently to cook on low setting.
Meanwhile, heat up oil in a large frypan and fry onions, garlic and chillies together until soft and browning. Stir in curry powder and cook for about 1-2 minutes before you add the tomatoes, coconut milk, curry leaves and cardamom pods.
Simmer for about 5 minutes then combine with the chicken and continue simmering on medium to low heat for about 30-40 minutes or until sauce reduces and thickens and chicken is well cooked and soft.
Serve hot with steamed basmati or jasmine rice and any combination of the listed accompaniments.
Serves 4-6 ... ENJOY!
Another delicious Dorinda Dish!
Check Out Previous Recipes of the Month -
Quick, Easy & Great Value
VEGAS FREE RANGE MUSTARD CHICKEN
6 Vegas Free Range Skinless Chicken Chops
1-1/2 tbs Dijon mustard
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs very finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 large cloves garlic (minced through a garlic press)
A pinch of fine, table salt
Freshly milled black pepper (as you like)
3 cups Corn Flakes, well crushed by hand
6 tbs powdered parmesan cheese
Garnish with red, yellow and green capsicums.
Pre-heat oven to 180˚ C. Combine mustard, lemon juice, rosemary, turmeric, garlic, pinch of salt and pepper, in a bowl. Stir to mix well. Coat the chicken pieces.
Combine Corn Flake crumbs and powdered parmesan cheese in a plastic bag. Add seasoned chicken pieces to bag and shake to coat with the crumb mixture. Grease a baking dish and arrange chicken pieces in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking approximately 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked and juices run clear when pricked with a fork.
Serve hot; garnished with very thin strips of seeded red, yellow and green capsicum.
VEGAS FREE RANGE CHICKEN THIGH EN PAPILLOTTE!
1½ kg. Vegas Free Range Chicken thigh fillets (6-8 pieces)
½ tsp. fine Sea salt
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tbs. peeled & finely grated fresh ginger
3 tsp. sweet paprika
6 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. Thai green curry paste
375ml coconut milk (lite optional)
1 red capsicum, pith & seeds removed & sliced thinly
1 yellow capsicum pith & seeds removed & sliced thinly
200g thinly sliced, fresh shiitake mushrooms
2 cups dry Chinese wood ear fungus, soaked in hot water for one hour to expand & soften then drained and dried with kitchen paper (optional)
6 sticks of fresh lemon grass, tips heavily trimmed off and outer skins discarded to expose short, young, light green bottom stems, each cut to 8cm length.
6 fresh, green, fragrant lime leaves
6 cherry tomatoes
1 medium, red-skinned sweet potato, peeled, diced and boiled (red skins are sweeter)
6 square sheets of baking paper (45cm x 45cm)
6 square sheets aluminum foil (45cm x 45cm)
1 lightly beaten egg white
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Place each chicken thigh fillet between two sheets of grease-proof baking paper. Lay on a chopping board and flatten a little by pounding with a mallet or rolling pin to help thin out the meat so it cooks quickly. Remove flattened chicken thighs from paper. Place in a big bowl and lightly season all over with the sea salt, (careful, not too much salt; curry paste for later addition is quite salty), garlic, ginger and paprika. Cover and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized, heavy-based saucepan or fry pan. Add the green curry paste and stir to loosen and release the fragrance. Reduce heat and continue stirring for about 2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and stir thoroughly to mix and form a creamy sauce. Remove from heat and set aside. Place the 6 squares of aluminum foil on a kitchen counter dull side facing up. Cover each with one square of baking paper. Brush the edges of each baking paper with egg white.
3. Spread a dessert spoonful of the blended coconut sauce (about 10ml) in the centre of each baking paper and place 2 slices each of the red and yellow capsicums on this, followed by 3-4 slices shiitake mushrooms and a piece of wood ear fungus (optional).
4. Divide the seasoned chicken thighs into 6 portions and arrange one portion each on top of the vegetables on the baking paper.
Bruise each lemon grass stem by bashing lightly with a mallet or rolling pin. This splits the fibres and allows the flavour to permeate the cooking juices.
Alternately top each chicken thigh with remaining pieces of capsicum, mushrooms, fungus, lemon grass, a lime leaf, a cherry tomato and cooked, diced sweet potato. Then carefully shape each parcel into an open cup and drizzle chicken and vegetables with equal amounts of remaining coconut sauce, making sure each parcel has ample sauce (about 50ml each).
First fold over the brushed edges of the baking paper and seal completely to form an airtight parcel, making sure to leave space inside for steam to gather. Then scrunch the outer foil up around parcel to give it form and shape and to stop it falling apart or leaking.
5. Arrange the parcels on a baking tray and cook in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven, carefully open each package and arrange on a serving plate.
Serve hot by itself, or accompanied by fresh green salad and/or hot, steamed basmati or jasmine rice or pasta of your choice. Bon Appétit!
Serves 4 - 6
VEGAS MEXICAN SALAD
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp honey
2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp. paprika or use chili powder (your choice)
1/4 tsp. salt
A healthy pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
4 Vegas Free Range Skinless chicken breast fillets
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cloves garlic, crushed
500g packet sweet, frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 punnet of baby Romanos or cherry tomatoes (washed)
425g can black beans, or mixed beans, rinsed and drained
2 red capsicums (washed, de-seeded & finely diced)
300g bag of mixed varieties of lettuce (washed & drained)
2 avocados, peeled and diced
1 x 235g pkt. of Tasmanian Mersey Valley cheese with green peppercorns (crumble this by hand)
5 cups blue corn tortilla chips or your favourite corn chips
1 x 200ml tub of sour cream lite
300g jar thick and chunky salsa
1. For the dressing, combine the vinegar, honey, cumin, 1/4 tsp. salt, and peppers in a small bowl and whisk well to mix, then set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based fry pan (approx. 25cm diameter). Season chicken with 1/2 tsp. salt and sauté in the hot oil together with the garlic until cooked through, about 7 minutes.
3. Combine cooked chicken, corn, red onion, tomatoes, black beans, and red capsicum in a large bowl. Stir in dressing. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or preferably, overnight in a refrigerator.
4. When ready to eat, combine chicken mixture with lettuce leaves. Serve along with avocados, crumbled cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream and salsa. Each guest can garnish his or her own salad as desired.
Serves 6 - 8